Skip to main content

Words of Advice for the CrossFit Newbie


Why I Started CrossFit

When I started CrossFit I THOUGHT I was in shape. I ran 5 days a week, lifted 3 days and attended a variety of group fitness classes (spinning, Zumba, boot camp, etc) to mix it up. To be honest, I’m a pretty frugal person. Whenever I can catch a deal, I’ll try something new. There were discounted CrossFit intro classes offered at a nearby gym that I decided to purchase on a whim without doing any prior research.

I will never forget my first workout. My heart rate got higher than I’ve ever experienced. I was out of breath, sweating more than ever and certainly struggling. HOLY CRAP - a simple workout had me on my butt! I couldn’t believe it, and was a little bit embarrassed. What looked easy on the whiteboard was certainly not easy for someone who considered herself “fit.”

The push in this particular group fitness class was not like any other. I was hooked and had to have more! There are a few things I wish I knew early on that I’d like to share with others considering trying it out.

Don’t Be Intimidated

After completing the introductory classes, I decided not to join because I was intimidated. Whenever I went into the gym everyone seemed to know what they were doing. All of these muscular, in shape men and women walked around knowing exactly what was going on. Because I didn’t have any friends who did CrossFit, I was scared to step foot into a regular class by myself.

I got over it because the coaches and other members were very welcoming and helpful, and I wasn’t afraid to ask questions. If there was something I wasn’t sure of, I would ask. It was also helpful that the coaches went over all of the movements prior to the work out and that there was instruction throughout the workout, making me feel more comfortable and confident with every class I attended.

Don’t Put a Monetary Limit on Health and Wellness

The second reason I didn’t join CrossFit right away was because it cost so much. I told myself there was no way I was going to pay over $100 a month for a gym membership. So, stubborn me I went back to my regular workouts of running and weightlifting on my own. Except this time I found my routine boring. I wasn’t pushing myself as hard, nor was I seeing and feeling the same results. I missed the extra push. I soon decided to bite the bullet and purchase a membership.

After working 9-10 hour days I would feel both mentally and physically exhausted and would find it difficult to get motivated to get in a GOOD workout. Already a person who felt health and fitness were important, the group classes really kept me motivated. I felt like I was truly getting my dollars worth and the gym membership eventually became a priority in my budget.

Be Open to Being Coached

I’ve always considered myself a fairly natural athlete. I’ve had many coaches throughout my life in various sports and strength and conditioning programs. So when it came to working out, I felt like I had a pretty good grasp on things. I found that in CrossFit I had a lot of strength, but my form was lacking (A LOT). I’ve learned throughout the years that it’s very important to listen to my coaches. We very rarely see mirrors in CF gyms so you can’t see what you may be doing wrong. I love that there is always something new to work on or tweaks that can be made to improve performance.

Introduce Yourself

CrossFit is all about community. That alone is another big reason of why I joined in the first place. I had just moved downtown and didn’t really know anyone. I wanted to meet like-minded people that made health and fitness a priority and people that wanted to continuously better themselves. That is what CrossFit is to me. However, coming into a new place like any other means meeting people and putting yourself out there. Of course, most people at any box are going to be friendly and welcoming to those walking in the door. What I learned though, is that it’s also a two way street. I had to open up, reach out and make an effort to develop friendships. Any new (and old) relationship requires work from both parties. So say hi, make small talk, attend gym events and open yourself up to the awesome community CrossFit is all about!

Summary

CrossFit gyms are going to be different everywhere you go. But like anything, it will also be what you make it! CrossFit has a lot to offer anyone at any fitness level, you just have to ‘put your toe in the water’ and see for yourself!

 

~ Coach K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sweatiest Angel - May 2017

Congratulations to our Sweatiest Angel for May 2017 - Max Lamb ! The Sweatiest Angel award is given each month to the CSC athlete who displays significant work ethic, a willingness to support others and a true sense of camaraderie inside the gym.  Every day Max brings energy, a desire to learn and the passion to motivate and elevate his fellow athletes. As with many of us he has come a long way through work ethic and a desire for self improvement. A short time ago Max wrote a guest blog post discussing his growth through CrossFit and fitness. Read it HERE . Unfortunately Max will be off soon to pursue awesome new opportunities in New York City. Never lose sight of your goals Max, and your passion for improvement. Congratulations Max. We're going to miss having your energy at CSC! Max sled pull during CrossFit Outside The Box at CWRU How long have you been doing CrossFit?   Max: Got into CrossFit in Santa Monica, California during Summer 20

CrossFit, The Newbie Mindset

Dear CrossFit beginners, this is what your coach wants you to know... Whether you are a new CrossFit athlete, someone interested in trying our style of fitness or someone on the fence, we want you to understand our mindset when it comes to training you and our expectations for you on day one. We will also address the common concerns we hear from beginners. I have to get into better shape before I start CrossFit. I feel bad saying this but sometimes this statement makes us laugh. Perhaps it is the frequency with which we hear it. CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program built on a few guiding principles (constantly varied, functional movement, at high intensity) and created to improve overall health, wellness and fitness. It is a fitness program. Some other fitness programs include Zumba, boot camps, etc. I don't say this to be condescending but to make the point that you probably wouldn't think about getting into shape to do Zumba. Likely, one would make the as

Sweatiest Angel - June 2017

Congratulations to our Sweatiest Angel for June 2017 - Amanda Stanoszek! The Sweatiest Angel award is given each month to the CSC athlete who displays significant work ethic, a willingness to support others and a true sense of camaraderie inside the gym.  Amanda wears many hats - CrossFitter, competitive triathlete, school teacher, high school coach and owner and operator of Bomani Strength. As someone who is driven by helping kids she has been a coach for multiple sports at Shaw High School where she also spends a lot of time working out before and after school with her students. She does this through her charity Bomani Strength. Her passion for helping Cleveland's youth is something we should all take a cue from. Congratulations Amanda! You are a shining light and beacon of energy on our gym community. Amanda @ Pose Cleveland How long have you been doing CrossFit?   Amanda: Since 2008 (with A LOT of hiatus’ LOL) What do you do when you're not at CSC?